Polebarn House was first occupied in 1789 by John Clark, a local mill owner, and his family. The house was designed to show off his wealth and status and is one of only a handful of Bath stone buildings in Trowbridge.
A published hymn composer, John Clark commissioned Chippendale to design and build an organ for him, around which the main hall and staircase of the house were built. Public recitals of his works were often given in the main hall with his audience gathered there and along the galleried
Last used as a private house in 1920, Polebarn House was purchased by the County Council at auction for the princely sum of £1,950. At that time the property occupied almost three acres including a stone built temple, ornamental water feature, fernery, wooden glass house, pleasure garden, stables, coach house, walled kitchen garden, yards, store and outbuildings. On the roof was a glass observatory. The council sold off the adjoining land, for a police station (which now stands) and for development of residential areas. The council modified the building to incorporate offices for Children’s Services, and later the building was used as flats.
‘Polebarn House’ first became ‘The Polebarn Hotel’ in 1978.